Survey: Condom Use Among Fictional Characters

One of the longest debate in reading erotic stories is the use of condoms. Some argue that authors should include condoms in writing a story, in order to make the story seem realistic. However, others had argued that it takes away the fantasy of the story, and the focus of the story should be purely fictional.

We want to get your point of view, about the use of condoms in a story. Do you prefer fictional characters to wear condoms, in order to make the story seem real, or not? And Do you think authors should include condoms in their stories, or should the option be up to them?

8 Comments to Survey: Condom Use Among Fictional Characters

1. Jacquie says:

Does not matter to me if it is mentioned. However I think it’s a good subtle way of promoting safe sex. I have yet to read a story where I have found it to take away from the fantasy or distract me from the story line in any form.

2. I actually started this topic in ERWA and was a bit surprised by the responses – or should I say intensity of the responses.
    Several said that nobody ever caught an STD from a page and condoms have no place in fiction. Others said they can’t enjoy a story where the characters show lack of consideration for others by not using them.
    Some of my stories have couples in open relationships, and they use condoms when with other partners. But I also have stories where characters cheat on their partners and don’t use condoms. Or where complete strangers have unprotected sex.
    Condom use in my stories depends on how I want my characters to be perceived.
    In stories I read, I don’t mind if a condom is used or not. I don’t get turned off by mention of them, and I don’t worry about consequences if they don’t. But either way, I think a sentence to explain why they did or didn’t use one can sometimes add realism and also add to the heat level of a story if it’s done well. A woman reflecting after a hot encounter with a stranger that she let him come inside her can add another dimension to her character.
    Just my opinion.

3. Ray Sostre says:

I’m not into writing stories that involves condoms. As a reader, I won’t be so picky; I’m not into the realism, being that I like read the fictional side of it. However, when I write my stories, no matter how much I get into my characters, and I do, I prefer not to use condoms in my stories. I want to keep the fantasy side of my stories, rather than just spoiling it. Regardless, if it’s just stranger encounters, group sex, or there is a connection with the people, I prefer to not include condoms in my stories.

4. Ian Smith says:

This has been discussed in the Erotica Readers and Writers Association as well, which is divided between “spontaneous sex” and “safe sex” writers. I typically do have my characters practice safe sex, especially at the start of a relationship, as I aim for realism in my stories. And using condoms can be part of the action. Characters in fantasy stories are a different matter and I play it by ear when I write these.

5. Daily Hollow says:

I don’t care either way, though I haven’t used them in my stories yet. Like a previous poster mentioned, they can be used in erotic ways. For instance, if she used her mouth to slowly unravel it along his….well you get the picture 🙂

6. Toi Acton says:

Doesn’t matter to me – I don’t want to sound like it’s forced in a story, I kind of assume that they are using them anyway, unless it states I forgot to us one.

7. Helen says:

I think it should be down to the Author it doesn’t bother me either way when reading a story!

8. Kendel Davi says:

I don’t care either way. If it feels like something the character would do in the moment then of course but if it seems like it’s the writer’s hand is doing it to force a moment, the forget it. For the most part, I don’t use them in my erotica unless I give them a sexy purpose or it’s embedded in the nature of my character way before they have to use one. Condom use in erotica only bothers me when it feels like the characters aren’t motivated to use on in the first place.